[nabs-l] CAPTCHA Alternatives

Darrell Shandrow darrell.shandrow at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:34:37 UTC 2010

  Hello Jamie,

At this time, Solona has one critical flaw. It isn't always available
because there aren't always sighted volunteers logged in ready to solve
the CAPTCHAs.

As long as this remains the case, Solona is not acceptable as a complete
alternative that would let any website operator off the hook for their
obligations to ensure their CAPTCHA doesn't exclude anyone.

Now, the only way I'd say a company might be able to claim Solona lets
them off the hook would be if they acted to ensure full and permanent
funding for the service and they also provided enough time from paid
employees to ensure Solona had an operator online and ready at all times.

That's a pretty tall tale though.