[nabs-l] Accessibility and Usability of the Main Facebook Site

Mika Pyyhkala pyyhkala at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 20:41:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have been using Facebook through the mobile interface:
http://m.facebook.com
about 95% of the time, but, I am finding certain functions cannot be
done in that stripped down interface.

I'm just wondering what experiences people have had with the main site?

As an example, I'd like to be able to update my status, and in the
same status message, include an external link and other peoples
Facebook profile.

There is now a feature, similar in concept to Twitter at replies,
where you can essentially refer to another persons Facebook profile in
your own status update or post.

So Jaws might read something like:
"I'm going to the
link Boston Common
with
link Jane Smith"

I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten this to work.  On the pc right
here I have Firefox and IE6, but maybe it works better with IE8?  Also
latest Jas version, and access to a Mac.

There are also serious accessibility flaws with the Facebook iPhone
app that have been confirmed by others.  Although, certain things do
work such as the chat to some extent.

The lack of Facebook accessibility should become a higher priority,
but I just want to get some other experiences before further bringing
this up with in our leadership.

Best,
Mika Pyyhkala
MA state President & national board member
http://twitter.com/pyyhkala