[nabs-l] some more questions...

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 02:03:19 UTC 2010

Hi Kerri,

It'll be obvious when your tip needs changing because you'll hear a
noise like a piece of metal dropping on the ground while you are
walking, and then your cane will stick on everything and won't give
you nearly as much feedback. If you have a lot of extra tips, you can
change them as soon as you start to notice scratches on your tip, but
if you want to be more economical, you can wait until the ring falls
off.

Regarding getting help when lost, if I'm getting help from a stranger,
I'll almost always follow behind them instead of taking their arm, not
only so I can know where we're going, but also because I don't know
the person and don't want to be led somewhere I don't want to go
without realizing it. If I'm walking with someone I know and trust,
then a key factor in the decision is "is this a route I'll likely be
taking again?" If so, then I'll want to follow behind them using my
cane so I can really be aware of where we're going and be able to
remember the route for later trips. Most people will understand and
not be offended if you say "I'd like to just follow you so I can
remember how to get here next time". If it's not someplace I'm likely
to go back to again, then the decision really depends on my mood, how
crowded the place is, whether I want to be carrying something in my
non-cane hand (which makes sighted guide inconvenient), etc. If it's a
good friend they should be understanding that you might move a little
slower or more awkwardly without holding their arm but that the
practice and confidence is good for you.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org