[nabs-l] Universal Design

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 23:46:39 UTC 2010

Hi Marc,

You pose an interesting notion.  I don't know where I sit on aspects of
universal design like audible traffic signals.  I myself have not found them
exceptionally useful, but nor did I find the NFB's active protest in
Portland eight or nine years ago all that necessary either.  I am of the
opinion that people have a choice to use or not use available resources.

My fear with this is not so much the scope to all persons as much as the
availability.  I believe the NFB follows a methodology to help persons to
adopt to their environment no matter where they might find themselves,
whether they should venture into a different city or a different country.
Universal design seems like a daunting endeavor that would require a change
in the way we think fundamentally, not just the way we perceive individual
tasks.  I don't know that I disagree with the notion of universal design
exactly.  I just question the feasibility, and again I am concerned with the
immediacy of training all blind individuals regardless of skill level to
confront and successfully maneuver their environment.

This reminds me of an article a group of us debated once about an apartment
complex designed specifically for persons with disabilities complete with
textured walls, hand rails and all manner of amenities.  To some this home
appeared to be the ideal setting, but as you may have guessed, I was
vehemently opposed to it for the false sense of confidence it established
and the bubble-like environment it promoted.  I may be missing this concept
of universal design altogether, but I genuinely believe it would be
difficult to make people with disabilities catch up to the rest of society
by creating certain standardized norms.  There is too much of a gap, and in
the meantime more people fall through the cracks.

Still, the notion is an interesting one, and I'll admit to feeling curious
about its consequences.

Best,

Joe