[nabs-l] braille watches help!

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 21:27:07 UTC 2010

Hi All!

I asked briefly about this in a post a few days ago, but it was amidst
many other questions so I figured it'd be best to just start a new
thread about braille watches.

I am considering getting a braille watch because it would make it much
easier to independently tell the time in noisy or quiet situations. My
friend has a Seiko braille watch. David Andrews told me to look on
Independent Living Aids for it. I not only did this, but I also did a
google shopping search for it. The cheapest Seiko watch I can find is
$150 from Amazon. The Seiko watch on Independent Living Aids is $179.
Please help! Is this a good price for a braille watch? That's almost
$200. My friend, and David Andrews told me that it's up to me but I've
never really seen or used a braille watch before so I have no idea of
what prices are good, and what to look for.

Do many of you use braille watches? Do you find them useful?

Right now, I use my Iphone or my computer to tell time and that has
worked but when I am in a noisy environment a braille watch may help.

What are the differences between the expensive Seiko watches and the
cheaper ones? I saw ones on the NFB site for $45...

What things/characteristics should I look at when trying to decide on a watch?

I also know Seiko has stopped making their braille watches...so which
ones do most of you use? What is a good one to get that is similar to
the Seiko?

Are there any other ones being made that you don't have to wind the
hands for? I've been told that with most other watches you have to
wind the hands but with the Seikos you don't have to do this.

Also, are you required to use a braille watch during training at
either LCB or CCB?

If so, which ones do they give?

Is it even worth getting one? Lol. Like I said usually my computer
and/or my Iphone are fine, but in noisy environments I have to ask
someone what time it is because I can't hear Voiceover on the Iphone.
The voice they use is kind of soft.

Thanks,
Kerri