[nabs-l] Use of Digital Voice Recorders in the Classroom

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 03:45:02 UTC 2010

I know that there has been a great deal of discussion on this list in the past about the use of recording media in the classroom to record lectures. I also am aware that some people use either a laptop, Braille note taker, or slate and stylus to do notes. I, for one will not hire a live note taker, because to me, it just doesn't seem right.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts about the use of digital voice recorder units during the lectures. If you've used them, what have you done to get the most out of the lectures? Do you think it's a good idea to use this tool alone or in combination with another note taking tool?

Also, I have access to more than one unit with recording abilities: the Victor Reader Stream, the Book Port Plus, and the Book Sense. I also have a commercial voice recorder from Sony, but since the others are able to record mp3 files directly, I don't see the need to use that one unless I have no other option.

Which units have others found works best in the lecture setting? Also, if anyone out there has other thoughts on how to use these tools effectively, I'm all ears. Thanks.