[nabs-l] Defining Excessively Helpful People and Interactions

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 24 23:53:50 UTC 2010

    I think overly helpful people grab you and pull you to wherever they think you want to go. It is hard to get them to stop and
actually listen to your question about what restaurants or businesses are near so you can actually make your own choices. Others
might shout at us or talk to us very slowly, as if the synapses in our brains must take a while to fire. Others ask our companions
what we want for lunch or give them our change. When a person asks a friend or family member what I want as if I am not there, I
answer as if I am not there either by saying something like, "She wants a large Coke without ice and some fish and chips." As soon
as they talk to me, I stop talking as if I am not there because it sounds silly.
    At another time my husband and I were casually walking down the street in the local town where we live. We became aware of a man
who was positively shrieking, "You missed the bus stop," over and over. My husband and I are both totally blind from birth. We
finally realized he must be talking to us because no one was reacting to him, and he was not letting up. I said, "We are not going
to the bus stop," and the man immediately stopped yelling.
    Many times we have had people yelling at us about an obstacle that is between several feet, to several store lengths away. We
either say Thanks, or say, "I will find it with My cane," to get them to stop yelling. Then, I keep walking until I find the
obstacle. I have found it makes people nervous when our canes contact an obstacle. However, it is a lot easier to get around an
obstacle that my cane has already found than one I am trying to skirt without finding it.
Terri Wilcox