[nabs-l] [stylist] Instead of Cars, Jobs

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Wed Aug 25 01:10:06 UTC 2010

To me, the push for the Blind Driver Challenge isn't about actually driving.
While this may be possible in 10, 20, 30? years or more, there are still
plenty of obstacles to overcome before it becomes a reality. Where the real
strength of this program seems to be is to advance technology which may
benefit the blind. GPS was developed for the military but now is ubiquitous
in civilian society. Speech synthesizers, OCR, IVR systems, and much more
all came out of far-flung ideas but now are used much beyond their original
intended market segments.

While we won't be driving in the cities tomorrow, there's a plethora of
potential new technologies which could benefit us. Everything from new ways
of presenting visual information either tactually or verbally, safety
systems for preventing colisions, or improved navigational aids is possible.
These could very well have the potential to open up new employment arenas in
places far beyond the highway.

As a side note, I do hope we are pursuing grant money like what Joe has
posted here. In fact, I believe we have people in Baltimore who do exactly
this, so you may consider forwarding this information on to them if they
don't have it already.

One of the cool things about being an organization this large is that we're
able to take a multi-faceted approach to solving problems and creating
opportunities. And while I may not agree with every idea that is put forth,
I know that I both have the opportunity to find an idea I do agree with or
propose my own.

J.J.