[nabs-l] Defining Excessively Helpful People and Interactions

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 02:00:45 UTC 2010

I agree with the previous statements.  I think it depends on the
simulation.  Do the simulation once, and you instill fear in the
sighted people who now believe that it is so difficult to be blind,
but give them training and techniques as part of the simulation over
an exptended period of time, and they learn that being blind isn't as
scary as they thought.

Last year someone sat down next to me for lunch and told me that she
had just gone through a blindness simulation.  I can't remember what
her exact words were, but she was like "I had to be blindfolded, and I
just couldn't do it.  I was so afraid I would crash into things."  She
proceeded to ask me how I do things like get around campus confidently
and whatnot.  I told her everything she wanted to know and explained
to her that being blind really isn't that scary because we learn
techniques to deal with everything from walking around to eating.  I
didn't mind explaining this, but I definitely thought it strange that
they didn't cover that as part of the blindness simulation.  The camp
simulation above sounds really cool and worth while, but some of these
one-time simulations are just reinforcing the idea that we as blind
people have such hard lives and can't do anything independently.