[nabs-l] Hindi

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 18:58:40 UTC 2010

Hey Bill,

I suggest doing a search for Bahrati Braille. This is the form of
Braille used by Hindi-speaking people in India. It allows for all of
the different letters and such. I have learned a little Hindi (not
much, just basic), and am studying it on my own along with Bahrati
Braille. I hope to someday work in India with a school for the blind
there, so that's why I'm studying it.

I definitely suggest learning the Bahrati Braille symbolds. Also,
there is a book called "It's Not On the Keyboard: Typing Special
Characters in Word." I believe it is from APH. It is an excellent
resource for people looking to type in another language.

You are probably not going to learn the shapes of the Hindi letters,
though you could ask for tactile images of the basic alphabet so you
know what it looks like. Bahrati Braille is, though, your best bet for
writing in Hindi. Find someone who can transcribe this language's
Braille to be your transcriber/scribe. The Department of Services for
the Blind should be willing to pay for this service as a reasonable
accommodation. Or you could get a Braille keyboard and one of the
programs that translates Braille to text and back (like Duxbury) and
type in Braille and let it print it out in printed Hindi.

I can't stress the importance of learning Bahrati Braille enough. In
learning it, you wil have as much chance of learning Hindi as any
other student in the class because the symbols are equivalent to the
print symbols. Just don't expect your Hindi teacher to be able to help
you with that part...you might ask around and see if there is anyone
who knos Bahrati Braille very well who can tutor you in it...I can't
think of anyone personally.

My two cents,
Jewel

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!