[nabs-l] composition

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 08:01:53 UTC 2010

Hello,
Of course, any decent music school will offer composition majors. When I say
composition I mean composition of art music (what classical musicians refer
to as contemporary music). If you are looking into pop music and things like
that I can't help much at all, but I can tell you places that I am familiar
with. The Juilliard school in New York (www.juilliard.edu) has a great
composition program. People like Milton Babbitt teach in there. Of course,
getting accepted into the program is hard, and you will be required to send
in a collection of scores composed by you etc. The Indiana University Jacobs
school of music (music.indiana.edu) also has a great program, although it is
smaller than Juilliard's and I'm not even sure they are accepting
applications this year. The program is great, and composers get to have
their works performed more often than anywhere else because the school has 6
orchestras. Composers at IU tend to work a lot with the musicology
department, which is literally the best in the nation. An other good program
is the one at the New England Conservatory (www.necmusic.edu), although I
don't know much about it. I know the Curtis institute also has a composition
program, but it's probably almost impossible to get in.
These are just three schools, but you can look into other good ones such as
University of Michigan, the Manhattan school of music, the Oberlin
conservatory, the Eastman school and probably many others although I am
getting sleepy and can't think of them.
Good luck!

I<C

--