[nabs-l] Math on the computer

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 16:30:54 UTC 2010

Hello,

Your question sounds as if it has a simple answer, which makes me wonder if
I understand exactly what you are asking.  However, I will give you the
simple answer.  First, you could use Microsoft Word or another word
processing program and simply type the problems.  You would want to consider
spacing so that numbers lined up properly.  This is if you need to show your
work.  You might choose to use a certain color to represent a number being
crossed out for instructors, or change the number to a letter you determine
to represent a crossed-out number.  For example, if you have the number
87-28, you would need to cross out the 8 located in the tens place of the 87
since over in the ones column you couldn't take 7-8.  Therefore, you would
have to regroup, or borrow if you like to call it that.  So the 8 would turn
into a 7, and the 7 this 8 turns into is placed directly above the 8.  Then,
the sighted person would scribble through the 8.  Since you couldn't
scribble through the 8, you might use a letter there, such as the letter x.
If x is used in the problem anywhere at all or throughout your Math work
anywhere since you would probably want to be consistent, then you and your
teacher would always know that if he or she or you encountered the letter x,
it meant a scribbled out letter.  However, for you, you might want to use a
different letter than x for this since x is often used in Algebra.  Maybe
make it the letter w.  Of course, the teacher will know by looking at the
problem and your work as well.  Plus, if you used a letter and a certain
color, the instructor would even know it wasn't a letter being used in the
problem, but a crossed-out number.  Excel is another program for doing Math.
It is a spreadsheet, and it can actually do calculations for you.  However,
you could still write your own problems down by placing them in different
cells.  In this way, you would know things were aligned correctly.  For
example, you might have the -, +, *, or / in column a; you might have the
thousands place in column b, the hundreds place in column c, etc.  You could
write the word line where lines are supposed to go.  or You could use
underlines, maybe.  Just some thoughts, and sorry if it wasn't the true
answer to your question.  Anita