[nabs-l] iPod Touch

Matt McCubbin mgoalball at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:42:43 UTC 2010

Joe,
My answers to your questions follow.
1. Is my assumption correct that if Verizon picks up the iPhone as it is
expected, I could buy an unlocked iPhone and use it on Sprint given
they're both on a CDMA network?
Theoretically, this should be possible, although you're going to
definitely pay a premium for an unlocked CDMA iPhone when it is released.
2. I know bigger is always better, but on average, how many gigs are you
using to handle your main apps?  Can you expand memory through micro SD
for music and such?
I'm currently using around 13 GB for music/movies and 8 GB for apps.
Unfortunately, none of Apple's iDevices support memory card expansion.
3. How well has the iPod Touch worked as a business device?  Can e-mail
be easily synched for exchange accounts?  Is there a sufficient number
of business-oriented apps that work on the iPod?  Are most apps built
for the iPhone available for use in the iPod where possible?
The iPod touch would work well as a business device, as long as you have
WiFi. The email experience with iOS is fantastic; the ap supports
syncing of multiple accounts, including Microsoft exchange, GMail, AOL,
Yahoo and allows for manual configuration if necessary.
Which types of business apps would you like to use? Dropbox, TripIt,
Skype, and many others work great. All apps that run on the iPhone will
work on the iPod, unless the ap is reliant on iPhone-only hardware such
as GPS.
4. Is there a dummy guide for people like me who'd need a crash course
on touch typing, gestures and such?
Yes, feel free to visit
http://www.applevis.com
for guides, and a collection of ap reviews with accessibility with
voice-over in mind.
5. Has anyone heard anything suggesting future GPS inclusion in the iPod?
I have not, however I know a few companies have released GPS accessories
for the iPod touch.
and finally,
6. How well does the FaceTime app work?  Or, how well has the Google
Voice app worked to communicate with people using 3G or WiFi networks?
Facetime works well, although it only is supported on WiFi networks. The
Google Voice app has a few quirks, such as some unlabeled buttons, but
it is accessible for the most part.
Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have further questions.
Best regards,
Matt