[nabs-l] Making college Biology and math accessible?

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 07:23:39 UTC 2010

LateX is similar to a programming language. It basically allows you to type any scientific text using plain text, and there are several tools which will allow you to compile the code and build a PDF file (or something else) which a sighted person can look at. Equations and other things will look graphically perfect, pretty much as if it was a textbook.
I would say most of the time you just have to understand what you're doing, instead of just doing whatever the professor tells you to do in order to solve problems. Especially in lower level math classes in college they tend to simplify things a lot... Whenever you see this, you do this and you'll get the right answer. I had taken lots of calculus in high school so when I got to college classes I already had my way of doing things. But you can always ask the professor to help you find numerical ways of doing many things. An example which comes to my mind is some simple integrals which can be calculated by figuring out an area under the curve. Sometimes that's very simple, but if one knows how to integrate an equation directly, then there's no need of graphs. In any case, I am not saying that graphs are completely useless and sometimes you will have no choice and you will have to use them. And sometimes, they will be very useful for blind people also. Sighted people use graphs for many purposes and we still need to be proficient at understanding them, because sometimes it's the only way either because problems are designed to be resolved graphically or for several other reasons. I only described my way of working, although I am sure many blind people out there enjoy working with graphs much more than I do. Basically I have no problem with them, but if I can do things without, I do.

Ignasi