[nabs-l] LateX installer/Adobe PDF question

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:24:21 UTC 2010

Hello,
Let me try to clarify things a little bit... First of all, I haven't used lateX under Windows in a long time, so I apologize if any of this is wrong. You need to install the LateX compiler from www.latex-project.org. This is *not* a lateX editor, it will only compile .tex files written in plain text. For fun, you can just open notepad, write a couple of lines of code, save it as a .tex file and compile it. To compile, you can open a DOS prompt (in Windows XP, press windows key + r to open the run dialog and type cmd). At the DOS prompt, just type latex and the address for your .tex file. If there are no mistakes in your code, this should generate a file (sorry, forgot the format...maybe .dvi?or .msi?) which you can open in order to see the result.
Now, most people would rather use a LateX editor. I strongly recommend something called Texniccenter (www.texniccenter.org). Well, at least that's what I would have recommended three or four years ago when I used a Windows laptop in class. The last time I used it, Texniccenter even provided a checkbox in the preferences dialog to make the user interface accessible to screen reader users. And all I can say is that it worked well. YOu can type your LateX documents in Texniccenter and it will alert you whenever you have mistakes in the code, and help you fix them. It can also compile your document to several formats, including PDF. Just give it a try! An other good thing about Texniccenter is that it can help you whenever you forget how to write something in LateX. Mathematical signs and expressions are organized in menus and submenus, and you can find the one you want and it will appear for you, ready for you to enter numbers in it or next to it or wherever you want.
Oh, and this is obvious...but if you haven't installed LateX, installing Texniccenter will be impossible because without LateX, Texniccenter is...well...useless!
Good luck!

Ignasi