[nabs-l] recruiting young people and keeping them involvedin the NFB

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Thu Feb 4 06:30:24 UTC 2010

Darian,

Honor is a two-way street. Sure, it's important to honor elders because
they hold institutional information vital to the survival of the
organization. On the other hand, many people don't often think of the
second part of the honor street which is to honor young people, and not
just because we have energy. Believe it or not, young people have great
ideas and, as you pointed out, affiliate leaders (who tend to be older)
need to support the entrance, growth, and development of those ideas.
Most of that's done through mentoring, but you'd be surprised how many
people in the Federation (and in other families and organizations)
don't know how to mentor effectively. As Joanne once said, good
mentoring isn't something you're born with. Mentoring skills take...
well... mentoring. Perhaps it might be useful for our organization to
do some organizational development where affiliate action spends the
time to visit each affiliate, check things out, and makes suggestions
to help the affiliate out on an organizationand interpersonal level
while offering the needed resources to do it. We can send all kinds of
people to the National center to get this kind of training, but it's
hard for one person to implement it in an environment where the
concepts may be unfamiliar or where people might be unwilling to hear
them, especially from a younger person.

Respectfully,
Jedi