[nabs-l] Independence with a Price Tag

Dezman Jackson jackson.dezman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:24:43 UTC 2010

I think one way companies could reduce the cost is to take advantage of
existing mainstream devices.  For example, why couldn't Freedom Scientific
have simply designed a JFW for Pocket PC that would run on say a Dell PDA
running Windows Mobile, smartphones, etc as oppose to reinventing the
hardware wheel with the pacmate? These mainstream devices could easily be
pared with a Braille display via bluetooth or USB if one desired.  Those are
just my thoughts, but I'm not in the assistive technology development
business and don't know all the complexities of the design of this stuff.

Best,
Dezman