[nabs-l] Independence with a Price Tag

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 08:35:03 UTC 2010

Joe,

I'm pleased to see you getting positive remarks on this issue.  When
I brought it up back in about 2004 (was it really that long ago?), I
was eviscerated for suggesting that these products cost more than
they ought to, and I believe I was accused of trying to steal jobs
from those few blind folks fortunate enough to have them.

I think the difference now is that we can clearly see that devices
intended for the sighted public could, and by all rights should,
serve our needs in much the same way they do for the sighted world.

Audio and electronic text books are nothing new for us blind people,
but the sighted world is increasingly taking interest in them for
commuting and convenience.  At this point, the only difference
between theirs and ours is that they have more books, and our devices
have better features (multiple bookmarks, better navigation, etc.).

The average voice-based note-taker's got nothing on a modern cell
phone with folding keyboard if you have a place to set down the
keyboard.  It's even possible, though unlikely, that you can use
Braille input and output with your cell phone at a fraction of what
you'd pay Humanware or Freedom Scientific.

Large print users are beginning to recognize more and more that the
hardware used to make our print bigger is basically a webcam with LED
lights and a close focus lens.

They tell us it is an economy of scale, but we're starting to see
that if it was ever true in the past, it is true no longer.  There is
very little actually specialized hardware that needs to go into these
things, and less and less specialized software.  About the only real
specialized hardware at this point are alternative input devices for
those who don't use QWERTY keyboards and Braille displays.  The rest
of the hardware is essentially off-the-shelf, or at least ought to be
at this point.

Joseph