[nabs-l] Accessibility: Regarding New Facebook Format Changes

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 02:01:16 UTC 2010

I commend you, Jordan, for writing to Facebook directly, and not just
complaining about the inaccessibility. Good, proactive work!

Corbb

On Feb 13, 2010, at 8:24 PM, Jordan Richardson wrote:

Hello,

Concerning the new layout, there are some features that were made less
of a convenience.  For example, the inbox, now only accessible from
the homepage, used to be in the top bar, thus accessible everywhere.
I, and many others as you will see when you look in the various groups
and fan pages, would like you to go back to the old format.  This deal
with the top bar is one of those reasons.

On a blindness note, your site was generally easier to navigate under
the old site rather than the new site.  The old site had everything in
a line such that the left column led to the middle column which in
turn led to the right column.  Now, The left column leads to the right
column which leads to the middle column.  This took me several tries
to figure out, and it still is an inconvenience.  Plus, everything in
the right column used to be a heading so I could simply jump from
heading to heading to get to wherever it was I wanted to go.  This new
site has become one big inconvenience for both sighted and blind
users.

Furthermore, there was a poll about the new layout on facebook, and
the results showed that the majority of the people did not like the
new format.  I advise you to look at resources like this when making
big decisions like changing the format of your site.

Thank you,
Jordan Richardson
lilrichie411 at gmail.com

--
Jordan Richardson
2nd Vice President, Minnesota Association of Blind Students
lilrichie411 at gmail.com
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.