[nabs-l] Does anyone use a MacBook or MacBook Pro for school?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Feb 26 15:12:33 UTC 2010

Sally,

Please allow me to both agree with Darrell and maybe muddy the waters further.  It the school uses MACS, it may still be wise to see what software they are using on
the MACS to determine if it is accessible.  For example, if a school makes heavy use of Microsoft Office on the MAC, a blind student might be better off with a
Windows computer with Microsoft Office installed as Microsoft Word is, to my knowledge, not accessible on the MAC.  In other words, the hardware and the
software must both be considered.  What is the school using for class web sites, and can web sites be used with one computer better than the other?  These are
not questions that will necessarily give MAC or Windows the upper hand, but they need to be explored since he'll be in that school system for a few years to come.

I don't think any objective person would try to say that either MAC or Windows are flat out better because it is more complicated than that.  At this point, there are
more accessible applications running on Windows, but one doesn't run "all accessible applications" only the ones they are interested in, so if what he needs to do
on the MAC is accessible, then it may not matter.  Apple, on the other hand, has more control over the applications written for the MAC, so in some cases,
accessibility is probably more stable.  I say all this only to illustrate the complexity.

VoiceOver is included with the MAC as has been said.  However, when buying computers for my kids, I found that MACBooks were substantially more expensive
than Windows laptops.  One can argue correctly that you might get more, but the fact remains that you will probably pay more.  A Windows laptop with a screen
reader will likely cost you more, though, than a MACBook, in all fairness, but at least when I looked, the total costs made the fact that VoiceOver was included
somewhat less significant.  This may have changed, though.

These are not the kind of clear answers you are looking for, but please ask if you have more questions.

Best regards,

Steve