[nabs-l] Does anyone use a MacBook or MacBook Pro for school?

Kevin Fjelsted kfjelsted at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 19:43:35 UTC 2010

There are a number of resources that will give a perspective on using
the mac. One web resource that I find helpful  is
http://www.lioncourt.com/.
I have a few entries on my blog at http://www.kfjelsted.com/ which
describe my personal experience.
It is also important to keep in mind that if one utilizes a Mac one
can run Windows within that Mac platform. THis is not true if one
picks a Windows platform I.E., there is a huge advantage by utilizing
a Mac platform over a WIndows platform from a flexibility perspective.

I think it is a very powerful statement when the former Vice President
of Software Engineering in charge of JAWS development for Freedom
Scientific is now using a Mac almost exclusively.
Another factor worth considering is that JAWS is languishing and
appears to be getting bugler and bugler as time goes on. Unless there
is a major effort to turn things around the JAWS screen reader will
run out of steam very soon.  THis is a separate issue so if JAWS is
being compared to be fair one should compare some of the other Windows
screen readers.
-Kevin

--
Kevin Fjelsted