[nabs-l] techniques in cafeterias and trays

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:25:11 UTC 2010

hey,
  I  have done a few things in this situation; I've  asked someone for
the general layout of the area  and have gone about it from there,  I
have also listened to the sound of people congragating in lines and
have  used those sound cues   to find out where I should be going.
  I think the easiest thing is just to  go with a student who might be
headed in that direction to get to  the line  you  need to get to and
then  ask someone around  as you need about  the lay out of the foods
in relation  to you (bread is in front of you, salid to  the left of
it, salid dressing to  it's left and so-on).   As for holding a trey;
I usually hold the trey on my left side (non-cane using side) with my
arm securing the trey aginst my side and  looping my index finger and
thumb around the cup if I have one.  I can still use my cane in this
way and  I just make sure to clear  the path of travel with my cane as
always.
   Best,
  Darian

--
The National Federation of the Blind has launched a nationwide teacher
recruitment campaign to help attract energetic and passionate

"And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny
calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching
before us;
if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our
slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe
past and future generations,
then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with
you. Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be
done, and
usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth."- Baraq Obama