[nabs-l] Trays

Chelsea Cook astrochem119 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:49:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

  I agree with Darian on the tray points, and thank him for
posting that Happy New Year sentiment! I liked it.
  As to the tray: I usually employ Dave's first method.  This is
how I do it, particularly if there are multiple items (warning:
physics major side peeking out):
Usually, I'll figure out what I have on the tray and try to
conceptually determine its center of gravity (where everything is
balanced), and try to achieve that as I move, making sure that
not too many heavy things lean to one side.  Once I find that
position, I usually hold my tray between non-cane arm and my
body.  If I'm carrying a drink and it's not too difficult, I'll
usually put the drink near the outer edge of the tray so my thumb
can keep track of where it is.  The higher you hold on the cup,
the more control you have over it.  If getting fast-food, I'll
often ask for a to-go bag, even if I'm eating in.  That way, I
can carry the drink securely and hold the bag between arm and
body.  It makes life much easier.
Question: When in a college cafeteria setting with a fountain
drink machine, do you usually find a table, set stuff down, and
then go get a drink? Not sure how effective this would be when
eating alone.
Chelsea
"I ask you to look both ways.  For the road to a knowledge of the
stars leads through the atom; and important knowledge of the atom
has been reached through the stars."
Sir Arthur Eddington, British astrophysicist (1882-1944), Stars
and Atoms (1928), Lecture 1