[nabs-l] techniques in cafeterias and trays

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Jan 4 00:35:03 UTC 2010

Actually, one can carry a tray safely while using a cane or guide dog.

The most commonly used method I've seen in the NFB is to hold the tray
close to one's body using one hand and holding the cane in the other.
The tray arm holds the tray in an overhand fashion with the thumb and
index finger securing the drink and the other fingers curled under the
tray. The best way to overcome balance issues is to be sure that the
plates and bowls of food are equally distributed so that the weight on
the tray is equally distributed. For example, if you have a heavy bowl,
don't put it on the same side as your drink and a light plate on the
other side of the tray. Instead, put the bowl on one side so that it
counterbalances the light plate and the drink. Does that make sense?

Respectfully,
Jedi