[nabs-l] Braille Vs Technology: is there room for only one in town?

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:19:16 UTC 2010

(sorry about  the early send)...   there are people who don't know how
 to read and are ashamed to admit it. because in society we tend to
look down upon someone  with a "deficiency"  when  we might be better
served to support. To me, it's as much about what we don't say  when
we trumpet the saying "braille readers are leaders" and  take the
stance we do.  Our aim as an organization is to secure better
education and  the aquisition of braille skills, and this is
wonderful, but sometimes it sounds as if we do look down upon.  If
this is so it's unfortunate to see people who have generally belooked
down upon do the same to members of it's own community.
  call it me thinking out loud but just figured I would share some of
my thoughts with you. Best,
  Darian