[nabs-l] FW: Free and accessible credit reports

Aziza C daydreamingncolor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:30:33 UTC 2010

Exciting news for those who are conscious and concerned about their credit
histories (have you checked recently?  I almost always find errors and
suspicious items...scary!).  I have longed searched for the elusive
once-yearly truly free credit report we are due by law (Fair and Accurate
Credit Transactions Act of 2003, or FACTA) from one of the three major
credit reporting agencies and they finally appear to have gotten their act
together to make it available, and it's accessible to the blind!

It is a combined effort of Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.  You can
download and print online, request by phone, or request in writing any or
all of your reports from these companies once a year--FREE.  I was dubious
of the accessibility of the online version and currently have no printer, so
I opted to call and order a print version to be mailed to me.  It is an
automated system that is not too long or frustrating--relatively quick and
simple--and I was thrilled to encounter an option for receiving it in
braille or large print, so my braille version should be arriving in a couple
of weeks!

If you've never checked your credit report, you'd be amazed at some of the
errors and inconsistencies that can be found there, and in times when fraud
and identity theft are so prevalent, it's a good idea to keep tabs on this
stuff, especially if you are job hunting, like me...employers read this
stuff!!

Here's the 411:
www.annualcreditreport.com
877.322.8228

Someone check their online version and report back about accessibility!

Enjoy,

--
Serena Olsen, MAIPS

Nfbc-info: