[nabs-l] Free Training on Description of Science Images from WGBH

Madeleine Rothberg madeleine_rothberg at wgbh.org
Fri Jan 22 19:01:42 UTC 2010

Apologies if you see this announcement more than once.

The WGBH National Center for Accessible Media is offering additional dates
for our web-based training on "Effective Practices for Description of
Science Content Within Digital Talking Books." We are offering free online
training on the dates listed below. In addition, we are pleased to announce
that we will be offering training in person at the CSUN Conference on March
26th for those attending the conference.

The guidelines cover description of a variety of information types,
including bar charts, line graphs, Venn diagrams, tables, pie charts, flow
charts and complex diagrams and illustrations. A resource section is also
included, providing links to many organizations, tools and standards which
all contribute to generating more accessible STEM materials. The guidelines
are available online at:

http://ncam.wgbh.org/experience_learn/educational_media/stemdx

Our CSUN presentation is session BLV-2015, Friday, March 26, 2010 - 9:20 -
10:20 AM PST in Room Emma AB. You can save a seat at the session once you
are registered for the conference.

The free webinars last an hour and a half, and offer the same training at
each session. (It is not a multi-part course.) You can register for the time
most convenient for you by sending an email to stemdescription at wgbh.org

Training times are:
* Wednesday, February 10th, 1 pm to 2:30 pm, US Eastern time
* Thursday, March 11th, 12 noon to 1:30 pm, US Eastern time
* Wednesday, April 7th, 2 pm to 3:30 pm, US Eastern time

Additional dates will be offered later in 2010. These sessions are available
at no cost thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation (grant
#0833608).