[nabs-l] NABS Special Announcement: Washington Seminar!

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 22:03:30 UTC 2010

Dear NABS members:

We are but one week away from the National Federation of the Blind
Washington Seminar, our annual legislative conference in Washington,
D.C. This year, as usual, the National Association of Blind Students
will be holding our annual midwinter meeting all day on Sunday,
January 31.

Please note that we will be handling registration in a slightly
different manner than we have in the past. As always the seminar
registration fee will be $5. However, if you were at the NABS meeting
at last year's national convention, or if you have given us your
contact information online since the last convention, you won't need
to give us your contact information again during registration. Simply
come to the Columbia Ballroom and tell the marshal that you have
already given us your contact info, and
you will be directed to the front of the line to pay your $5 and go
in. We hope this new arrangement will cut down on registration chaos
and redundant recording of information. If you weren't at convention
in Detroit and haven't registered online yet, you can do so at
http://www.nabslink.org/members/membership_registration.shtml
I will send out the agenda for our seminar tomorrow morning.

We will also be holding our traditional luncheon for state student
division presidents. If you are a current president, please attend. If
your state's division president isn't attending Washington Seminar,
please send one delegate from your state to attend the lunch. Even if
you are from a state that has no division, consider coming to the
lunch to learn about starting a division and to network with other
state student leaders and members of the NABS board. Pizza will be
served.

Our seminar will adjourn at 5:00 p.m. and we will reconvene for our
NABS mixer from 8:00 p.m.-midnight. Mixer tickets are $10 if purchased
during registration or $12 if purchased at the door. We will be
serving roast turkey sandwiches, snacks, and will include a cash bar
and music. We will also be auctioning off a few items throughout the
night. Please come to hang out with other blind students!

Finally, we're starting something new on Monday morning. From 10:30
a.m.-noon there will be a student information fair. Representatives
from our three NFB training centers, RFB&D, BookShare, Educational
Testing Service, the Department of Education, and a few others will be
on hand to distribute literature, answer questions, and help students
sign up for their services. Whether you are having difficulties with
GRE accommodations, want to become an RFB or BookShare member, or want
to learn more about which training center will be best for you, you'll
find something of interest at the student information fair.

After the NABS events conclude, the NFB's annual Great Gathering-In
meeting will be held on Monday evening, and legislative appointments
will occur on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Talk to your state
president to determine when your appointments will be and to learn
about the legislative agenda.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Washington!

Cordially,
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
Phone:  602-502-2255
Email:
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website: