[nabs-l] question about Jaws and PDFs

Darrell Shandrow darrell.shandrow at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:31:58 UTC 2010

Hello Rachel,

In order to help you in the most effective way possible, let me start by
asking you some questions. Don't worry if you can't answer them all. Just do
your best and I'll guide you to the rest of the needed answers.

What version of JAWS are you running? Do you have Adobe Reader on your
computer? If so, which version? Do you have any scanning and reading
products like Kurzweil K1000 or OpenBook installed on your computer? If so,
what versions?

There are a number of ways to read PDF documents. Some PDFs are fully
accessible, many can be read with some difficulty and far too many remain
completely out of our reach without a significant amount of expensive
assistive technology.

There is one free solution that can read many PDF documents. It is called
PDF2TXT, and it has been developed by a blind computer programmer. Visit
http://www.empowermentzone.com/p2tsetup.exe to install the program.

Regards,

Darrell