[nabs-l] PRS Transmitters, HELP!!!

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:44:54 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I'm a student at Florida State University. One of my professors this
semester is employing the use of PRS (personal response something-or-other)
transmitters for answering pop-quiz questions in class. These are little
handheld devices that students use to electronically and instantly submit
their answer to the professor in class. They're handy little devices, and I
think it's great that technology is being brought into the classrooms in
college, but it is my understanding that they are inaccessible. You need to
be able to see the screen to log in and use them, even if you managed to
memorize what every single button is for, and as a blind student, I can't do
that.

I've had professors use these in the past, and every time, an alternative
was offered to me since the professor understood that the device was
inaccessible. I would usually either approach my professor and simply tell
him my answer and he'd write it down, or I would type it and e-mail it to
him (the latter only when there was internet in the classroom or lecture
hall). This time, however, my professor does not want to cooperate. He
insists that I find a way to use the PRS transmitter, and when I contacted
my university's Disability Resource Center, they told me I should be able to
do it as well, but I can't figure out what they expect me to do. I don't
think it's right or fair for me to rely on another student to log me in and
select answers for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has had to use PRS transmitters in their
classes, and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks for the help, and please write back soon. I've already missed
pop-quizzes, so this is becoming a pressing matter.

Thanks,

-Jamie