[nabs-l] accessibility requirement for program question

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 21:47:44 UTC 2010

This sounds like that old rule they used to have to try to keep blind people
from becoming Orientation and Mobility instructors. "You have to be able to
see your student from how ever many feet away". I'm pretty sure the NFB
handled that issue well. This is blatant discrimination against the blind.
You might consider asking them what having that kind of visual acuity would
accomplish in the program, and demonstrate or explain how you can accomplish
the same tasks without it. I.E. if they say you need to be able to identify
your animal at a distance with other animals around, explain that your
animal can wear bells on its harness, and that you'll hear the difference
between people moving around and animals moving around at a distance.