[nabs-l] O&M services through state agency for the blind

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:02:53 UTC 2010

Hi Ashley:

I'm from W.VA...a very poor state that also has terrible services.

I right now am trying to decide which center I want to go to, but when
I was getting contracted O and M services it was pretty bad. The
instructor I had only worked on route travel with me, which I hate and
do not do very well with...I am much better and am excelling even
without training with the structured discovery method. Our state
agency is so bad that a few years ago they lost funding and had to
close part of the building down. They now put you in a hotel to stay
every night...I toured our state center once and could tell just from
that one tour that it was pretty bad.

I doubt that you'll get very good services from your state...I'd also
recomend one of the NFB training centers...or at least one that has
structured discovery cane travel. I believe the structured discovery
method is much much better and you'll learn much more with it.

Just my opinion!

Kerri