[nabs-l] DSB delaying needed equipment

stacy timberlake guitargirl89 at windstream.net
Sun Jul 25 16:17:06 UTC 2010

    When you are agreeing to accept a laptop rather than a notetaker
consider whether you plan on taking notes in class or recording your classes
and taking notes based on your recordings.  If you plan on taking notes in
class consider whether you are really a fast enough typist to do this
effectively.  (I personally am MUCH faster at typing on my Braille note than
I am on a traditional keyboard--even though I am pretty fast on a keyboard)
This could be part of your argument in favor of receiving both pieces of
equipment.  I am a junior in college and I find both my laptop and notetaker
crucial so don't give up!
Also be aware that there are other methods in which to get both devices.  If
you are unable to get  them through  your counselor explore charitable
organizations such as the lions club,  but bare in mind that if you HAVE to
accept only one the note taker is MUCH more expensive than a laptop and it
has refreshable Braille.  Bare in mind that every other student at your
college has to undertake the expense of a laptop so it is not completely
unreasonable for you to do the same (also most colleges have payment plans
to fund the purchase of a laptop)
If your counselor refuses to purchase both I would push for a note taker as
well as the software required to make the laptop accessible for you.  (If
you show your counselor now that you are willing to take on some of the
expense as well they will be more likely to assist you with the additional
expenses that come up as you continue your education)
-Stacy