[nabs-l] Work-Study Programs

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 22:55:32 UTC 2010

Hi Jewel,

I worked for our student support services office at the University of
Wisconsin tutoring students under the work study program. As you know, you
must indicate your interest in a work study award on the FAFSA. When you get
your financial aid award, if you qualify, there will be a particular amount
for work study. You can earn up to that amount by working a work study job.
Many campus jobs are set aside for work study award recipients. The jobs
that are work study are, for the most part, all the same types of jobs that
any student can get working for the school. I, a work study recipient,
worked alongside student tutors who were not work study recipients. I knew
other work study recipients who worked in the libraries and cafeterias.
There are a pretty broad range of options available. Receiving work study
just makes it a bit easier to get a job, because some jobs are only
available to those receiving work study as part of their financial aid
award.

Best of luck,

Sean