[nabs-l] navigating parking lots/open spaces and other travel questions

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:41:58 UTC 2010

Hi All!

I hve a few more travel questions I wanted to ask.

First, what is the best way to navigate parking lots and those
driveways in the parking lots you sometimes have to cross? Cars can
come in and out of them and there is no landmarks or anything...it's
just one big open space.

The reason I am asking is because I live in a big apartment complex.
To take the trash out, you have to go all the way across the parking
lot. For the most part, the parking lot has a curb along it which I
can follow with my cane, but there are two places where the curb ends
and you have to cross this driveway/street like thing (I don't know
what it's exactly called.) Anyway, there are no landmarks and no
curb...you have to go straight across it and pick up the curb on the
other side.

I've been told that cars can come in and out of the driveway things,
but I imagine it's not too busy. However, it terrifies me that a car
is going to come while I am crossing and hit me. Do I just make sure
to listen before crossing and try to cross as fast as I can?

Also, veering is a huge problem for me. I know most blind people can
not walk in an exact straight line but what is the best way for me to
cross this driveway and stay as straight as possible so I can catch
the curb on the other side and not get myself lost? I've read that
keeping the cane centered like near the middle of the stomach, where
the belly button is helps. I've also read that walking fast and trying
to keep your feet straight helps. I was taught at convention how to
use the two-point touch technique with my palm up, moving only my
wrist. Is there anything else I can do? It scares me that I'm going to
get really lost when taking the trash out and end up getting in hthe
middle of the drive way thingy.

Also, because I didn't know the hotel at convention, like everyone
else I got very used to getting lost and wandering around and asking
assistance to get where I wanted. It made me get over my fear of
getting lost in huge buildings. However, I am still very scared about
getting lost outdoors. What is the best way to deal with this? Is it
the same concept as getting lost inside a building...jjust walk
around, and ask assistance when you hear someone coming? I know this
will sound very irrational, but I guess in a building you only have so
much space, so many floors. Outside, you have the whole world...it
never ends...there is no limit! I hope that doesn't sound too dumb.
How did you get over fears of getting lost outdoors?

I really want to try taking my own trash out independently but I am
terrified of veering when crossing that driveway thing, getting hit
while crossing, or getting really lost and not being able to find the
building my apartment is in. There are like 10 different buildings,
and they are building more! There is a pool on one side of the parking
lot, the trash thing, and a clubhouse...and you have to cross the
parking lot to get to all of them...so it's a huge open area with the
various apartment buildings spread out all over.

I could have an orientation and mobility instructor come and help me,
but there aren't any good ones here and I hate route travel...I know I
can do this myself if I can get over these silly fears!

And, finally...when you are using your cane and you are in a hallway
looking for a certain door or just going along a hallway where there
is a wall on either side with doors along it...do you still use the
two-point touch technique or do you switch to more of a constant
contact technique where you slide the cane from side to side?

Thanks so much and hope these questions don't sound too dumb.

Kerri