[nabs-l] navigating parking lots/open spaces and other travel questions

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:42:25 UTC 2010

Hi Kerri.

I used to be very scared too of walking in open spaces like parking
lots.  It's hard to figure out where things are because everything is
so spread out.  It might help you and make you feel a little more at
ease to have a sighted friend or family member walk behind you as you
go across the parking lot to the dumpster for the first time.  They
wouldn't have to say anything unless you got lost.  It might make you
feel better to know if you are doing it all right.  It's scarier to
get lost outside because it's harder to find people to ask for help,
and it's so wide open.  I know exactly how you feel.

Good luck.