[nabs-l] Means Testing for College Studentsþ

Al Spooner aspooner at blindinc.org
Thu Jun 3 13:41:46 UTC 2010

Hi Elizabeth,

Well, I would hope that this thread might be helpful to other students that
may be faced with this situation sometime in the future, but if you would
like to e-mail me directly, that would be just fine too.  My e-mail address
is: aspooner at blindinc.org

Without having all of the details of your situation, current living
arrangements and more specifics regarding your current college status and
situation, etc., I can only give you some general parameters.

The law is quite clear, as an adult receiving SSI you are not obligated to
contribute financially, regardless of what the VR agency wants to call it.

They cannot include your parent's income.  They may argue that you are
living with them (I do not know if you are or not), but if you are, they see
this as you being supported by this family income.  This is a little grey
area, but ultimately if you can provide evidence to them that you are
self-supporting, (using your SSI as your means of support) then this
evidence is the proof that you are not receiving financial support from your
family.

If you are using only your SSI for support, and living in an apartment or
dorm during college, the time that you spend in the summer with your parents
should not be considered as financial support either.  You can avoid this
possibility even further by paying your parents a small amount for rent
while you are there.

Al Spooner
Assistant Director
Outreach and Marketing
Blindness Learning In New Dimensions, Incorporated  (BLIND, Incorporated)
100 East 22nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Office: 612-872-0100 Ext. 226
Toll Free: 800-597-9558