[nabs-l] Bringing Students to Independence 2010

Jordan Richardson lilrichie411 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 14:37:09 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I am writing to you all from Blind Industries and Services of
Maryland, the blindness skills trainning facility in Baltimore,
Maryland.  This summer we are running a program called Independence
2010 for blind students going into grades 10, 11, and 12.  We will be
teaching the students the Braille, cane travel, technology and
independant living skills they will need when moving on to college and
later into a career.

For three of these students we are still needing funding.  Two of
these students are from Georgia and one is from Maryland.  The mother
of the Maryland student just got off from active duty in April, and
when she got back she saw, in her email, a flyer for the Independence
2010 program.  She immediately sent an email to Amy Phelps, the
director of the program, asking Amy to accept her daughter and not
penalize her for being late since she was on active duty.  Of course
Amy Phelps and Karren Anderson interviewed the student and will accept
her, but we need funding to get her, and the students from Georgia
here to Baltimore for the program.

Please donate even $5 to help these very dedicated and enthusiastic
students to get the skills that they will need.  Any amount helps, no
matter how small.

For more information on either the program or the students, please
feel free to contact Amy Phelps at aphelps at bism.org.

Thank you,
Jordan Richardson
2nd Vice President, Minnesota Association of Blind Students

lilrichie411 at gmail.com
“It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as
much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the
long term for both yourself and others will come.”
--Dalai Lama