[nabs-l] blind students in ASL courses

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:13:14 UTC 2010

I have wanted to take ASL classes, also, and when I talked to the
interpreter of a deafblind friend of mine (who was busy in class at
the time(, she suggested that I ask about a tactile interpreter,
someone who would sign everything directly into my hands. She
suggested this because Jenn, who is deaf-blind, and I had been signing
just fine to each other through tactile signing (signing directly into
each others' hands, though I often couldn't follow her fast signs and
ASL grammar (I know signed English, but not ASL grammar). So...I would
suggest a tactile interpreter, and perhaps send two copies of an ASL
textbook to RFBD to have them record it. They will record any textbook
you send them if you send two copies. In this way, they will describe
the graphics, the signs in the pictures. Call RFBD before you do this,
because they may have to figure out something special for such a
picture-intensive textbook as one of ASL. Also, a tutor would be a
very important thing for a blind student in an ASL class, as that
would be the only viable way of studying by making signs. The tutor
could tell the student if they are doing it right. I think the best
tutor would be someone who is fluent in ASL. The person could be deaf;
the student would have even more reason to learn ASL, but at the same
time, a hearing tutor would be able to communicate easier with the
blind student.

Some thoughts,
Jewel

P.S.- Please let me know how this goes, for my own reference for
future ASL classes myself.