[nabs-l] free screen readers

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 17 00:14:40 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Those of you using free screen readers I'd like to know about them.  I use Jaws currently and it works well mostly.  I have Windows xp.  But if a free screen reader can do most functions that will help me out; such as I can install it on computers I use for volunteering or on a family member's computer for ocassional use.

What's your experience?  What does it sound like?  Does it have multiple voices?  What applications does it work with?  I want to try NVDA.  Where do I get it and do i always need to be on the internet to make it work?  How did you learn the commands of the reader?  Other main readers have tutorials.

If I install one and still have jaws on the pc will that work?  I wonder if it eats up your memory having two screen readers.

Thanks