[nabs-l] response to Ashley's query about VR counsellors nabs-l Digest, Vol 44, Issue 18

Annemarie Cooke aec732 at msn.com
Thu Jun 17 00:38:32 UTC 2010

Hi Ashley,

I have been a client and now work in our state agency in an area in whcih I interact with counsellors (I am not a certified counsellor). I do work with clients, as well, and I think the best results come when a client collaborates with the agency/counsellor. If you think you prefer to work in a small business, line up some interviews for yourself at small businesses where you think you would like to work. Be proactive; don't expect that the counsellor gets to do everything there is to do to get you employed.

I have observed thatthe most successful clients get tehir own jobs! Are you ready to towrk? How are your travel skills -- are you willing and able to use public transit to get yourself to work? How are your computer skills? Do you have an excellent resume that sells your skills well? Your counsellor can help  you accomplish these things but it's YOU who needs to do the work.

PS your best job is going to come through your own networking. I realize, looking back, that any job I have had I have been offered through networking, never a classified ad. Networking is one of the most useful things you can do for yourself -- netowrk everywhere with as many people as you can to get whereyou want to go!

Hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes!

Annemarie Cooke