[nabs-l] free screen readers

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 17 01:59:04 UTC 2010

Hello,

I wanted to tell you that I have NVDA running at the moment.  You do not
want it and JAWS to run at the same time because I think there are hot key
conflicts.  It does have a user guide located under its help menu.  Once
NVDA has been installed and is running on your computer, meaning it is
talking and you have other screen readers shut off, press insert+n to bring
up the NVDA menu.  Then down arrow until you hear help submenu.  Press
enter, and then down arrow until you reach the user guide.  If you press
insert+n and press enter on the preferences submenu, you can down and up
arrow through the choices until you hear voice settings.  You can press
enter here to open a dialogue box up in which you can change the rate,
pitch, voice person, such as from Max to Anxious Andy and so on, and other
such settings.  Just FYI.  Anita