[nabs-l] free screen readers

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 02:06:49 UTC 2010

I use NVDA sometimes and works fine; some little details jaws doesn't do
NVDA does.
The commands can be learned by activating NVDA's Keyboard learn mode with
Insert+#1 above qwerty like Jaws since it uses kind of the same structure
such as Insert+t for title bar, Insert+b to read dialogues and the like. You
can read all about the keystrokes within NVDA's documentation which can be
accessed by going into Start Menu All Programs NVDA and open the submenu;
from there you'll see an item called User Guide and another one called
Keystrokes (hopefully I translated it good from Spanish since I use NVDA in
Spanish) that can give you more info.
About the voices, if you have SAPI5 compatible voices they'll work fine;
also if you have Kurzweil's ViaVoice (that's what I use since the default's
Espeak sounds a bit weird) also works fine.
about having Jaws and NVDA at once, be careful to unload Jaws before loading
NVDA and vice versa since they conflict in keystrokes when having them
opened at once. Oh and this brings me to shut down NVDA you use Insert+q
rather than Insert+f4.
and lastly since I'm making this email long already, from the NVDA website
you can download the portable version, version which you can then save on a
USB drive or CD allowing you to plug the device or insert the CD in whatever
computer you wish to access and NVDA will come up except that it will speak
with the default ESpeak.
Good luck!
Gerardo