[nabs-l] free screen readers

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 19:21:47 UTC 2010

I also use NVDA as my portable screenreader. It's not as great as
JAWS, but like was said, it uses some of the same commands, and the
voices are not bad at all. It is a great backup and portable for me.

I have tried SA Mobile and SystemAccess to Go, but I didn't like
them...too different from my good ole JAWS!

~Jewel

On 6/17/10, Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra at gmail.com> wrote:
> NVDA also works with Windows 7.
> On Jun 16, 2010, at 10:31 PM, Ashley Bramlett wrote:
>
>> Gerardo,
>> Thanks for those tips.
>> It may not be hard to learn because some commands are same as jaws.  That
>> is good because I don't want to memorize new commands!
>> So i  understand I can  have two screen readers loaded on the PC, but one
>> only actively running at a time; otherwise they conflict.
>>
>> I really need a portable screen reader so what you said struck me.
>> "download the portable version, version which you can then save on a
>> USB drive or CD allowing you to plug the device or insert the CD in
>> whatever
>> computer you wish to access and NVDA will come up except that it will
>> speak
>> with the default ESpeak."
>>
>> Oh is it that easy?  So you just carry the USB drive and
>> plug it in to the computer you wish to access?
>> This way its not installed on that computer, so you would not leave a
>> trace that you used a screen reader.
>> Wich operating systems will it work with?
>>
>> I would guess Windows XP and Vista.
>>
>> Ashley
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerardo Corripio" <gera1027 at gmail.com>
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:06 PM
>> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] free screen readers
>>

>>> I use NVDA sometimes and works fine; some little details jaws doesn't do
>>> NVDA does.
>>> The commands can be learned by activating NVDA's Keyboard learn mode with
>>> Insert+#1 above qwerty like Jaws since it uses kind of the same structure
>>> such as Insert+t for title bar, Insert+b to read dialogues and the like.
>>> You
>>> can read all about the keystrokes within NVDA's documentation which can
>>> be
>>> accessed by going into Start Menu All Programs NVDA and open the submenu;
>>> from there you'll see an item called User Guide and another one called
>>> Keystrokes (hopefully I translated it good from Spanish since I use NVDA