[nabs-l] A friend needing help.

Justin Young jty727 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:00:05 UTC 2010

Well, I can tell you how it works in New York State because I live in
Rochester, NY.  I actually did 2 years at Monroe Community
College(MCC).  My Vocational Rehab Counselor does all he can to assist
me.  When I was about 15 I transfered from a youth Counselor to an
Adult VRC.  Recently they basically have shut down the Rochester
office.  Well, our original person said "no" to everything.  So, we
asked tio be switched to one based out of Buffalo and its been amazing
ever since.  So, if your Vocational Rehab Counselor isn't helping you
I would possibily trying changing counselors.  Now, as for funding,
the Commission pays up to State University of New York(SUNY) rates
which are $2,175 a semester($4,350 full year).  We also receive $500
for Books and supplies.  Even thoughh I feel it's a long and more
complex than it has to be go through the Financial Aid route.  You do
this by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student
Aid(FAFSA).  After this you could try loanss/grants/scholarships for
final portion of funding.
Hope this helps
Justin