[nabs-l] FW: Serotek declares war

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Mar 6 04:11:21 UTC 2010

That's optomistic of you dave. Seriously mate, I believe we blind are
caught up in a hegemonic relationship with assistive technology
companies. I think we've bought into the notion that accessibility
simply costs more, especially since we're a small market and anything
out of the status quo such as Apple or SEROTEK is just simply second
best. To clarify, I'm not saying that you yourself are saying this
stuff, but I think we all have bought into these ideas without
considering if they're actually valid. I think Mike Calvo's message,
and his products, are waking us up and causing us as a community to
think twice about what we believe regarding our technology, and I think
that's why mike's kicking up so much sand and getting so many people
riled up. Those who are simply discounting his message, as far as I'm
concerned, are acting from an emotional gut reaction more than logic.
When Mike's blog post hit the NFB lists, the poster told us all that
Mike's message was not fun to read, and he was right.

I Think the discussions that some of us are starting about assistive
technology are a great place to start. It's obvious that the system as
it is isn't working for a lot of reasons, and it's also obvious that
assistive technology companies who make specialized devices will
continue to play a large part in the success of blind people. Striking
that balance is the name of the game if we want a system that functions
well and empowers consumers to integrate into the mainstream world wile
not compromising access. The trouble is that our current system is too
expensive and quite prohibitive to many unless they're willing to
depend on others with deeper pockets provided that blind people have
access to those deep pockets in the first place.

Respectfully,
Jedi

PS. I don't think it's accidental that FS lowered its Braille display
costs. I think that FS does have good intensions with Braille literacy
in mind, but I also think they're responding to Mike's message about
the costs of assistive technology, especially since there's a great
deal of interpersonal competition between FS and SEROTEK.