[nabs-l] New on NABS mailing list

Mikaela Stevens mikaelastevens at cableone.net
Fri Mar 12 00:23:42 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

My name is Mikaela. I just joined the NABS mailing list, but I have been a member of NFB for about a year now. I received a scholarship from the NFB of Idaho last spring and realized what a great organization the NFB is and decided to join. Last summer I attended my first national convention, as well and had a great experience in Detroit. I met some of you there. You probably would remember me because I am a little person, also known as a dwarf, (along with my visual impairment). I stand just over three feet tall; for those of you who might be curious about my height--that is about the size of a three or four year old child. If anyone has any further questions for me about my condition, please do not hesitate to email me and I am happy to educate you.

I am currently enrolled at BYU-Idaho, as a freshman, studying communications and vocal performance. I love anything to do with music: I have been singing for most of my life and I am currently learning to play piano. This will be my third year or so taking lessons, but I kept quitting so there were several years between. I play by ear and I know a little Braille music, however I don't really use it. I adore children and volunteer three times a week in three local kindergarten classes. I would love to teach kindergarten or first grade, but that is not the plan right now.

Thank you for allowing me to join in your discussions! I'm looking so forward to meeting you all. Take care.

 Sincerely,

Mikaela Stevens