[nabs-l] A Vent about the TI-36X Talking Scientific Calculator

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 21:06:54 UTC 2010

i Guys,

Tomorrow will be the second time I have had someone from the Board of
Education and Services for the Blind come to my house to troubleshoot
problems with the TI-36X Talking Scientific Calculator. The reasons are
twofold:

1. We had to calculate combinations and permutations in Statistics.
Everyone else's calculator could do, say, "2 c 4 plus 8 c 3." If I tried
this with mine, it calculated zero automatically.

It turns out I have to add the numbers, then press "combinations" or
"permutations," then write the answer to each problem, then plug the
separate answers into the original problem. Get this, the manual for
this calculator didn't tell me how to do the combinations and
permutations, it said pressing the keystrokes for these operations would
do the trick. Neither the trainer nor I knew this beforehand...we had to
figure it out ourselves.

2. In class Monday, we had to calculate exponents. My calculator gave
the wrong answer, but my BrailleNote gave the right one...

In short, the interface is not intuitive. My counselor at Board of
Education, Services for the Blind, said it was a new calculator, but my
professor, who tried and failed to get it to work, said the technology
was very old...

I wish the folks at Orbit Research, the company which makes the
calculator, would improve their manuals...

You may reply if you wish, but they are not necessary...I just wanted to
get this off my chest.