[nabs-l] Am I the only one?Two Questions

Courtney Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 22:19:07 UTC 2010

Gen,

Your first question is a complicated one, and the answer will vary
according to who in the blind community you ask.  I'm somewhat of an
anomaly, or at least feel like one, in the sense that not only do I
sometimes "wish" to see, but it's becoming more and more of a goal for
me.  The research/technology for giving blind individuals at least
some vision is progressing at an astonishing rate.  I'm actively
seeking to be part of the movement, through applying for research
trials.. etc. etc.

The reasons I want to see are precisely the ones you innumerated here.
 I know that blind people can be competent travelers and live/work
independently.  But I want to see people dancing across a stage or the
brilliant specail effects in a movie or.. a million things.

As to the second question.. I, too, am overly procedurally reliant.  I
really do believe it's a blindness thing.  We're afraid of missing
visual clues e.g. seeing sighted students taking out their books and
looking incompetent that we tend to follow procedures in the hope that
we don't stand out.  Unfortunately, as I know from personal
experience, that can have the reverse effect.  Oftentimes, you can be
the only person with a book on your desk, which rather defeats the
purpose.
Hope this post answers at least some of your questions,
Courtney