[nabs-l] being scholastically social?

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Mar 21 22:27:34 UTC 2010

Frankly, my time is taken up with school, homework, and the nFB. I did
join the school's step team. Step is a type of dance much like stomp
minus any instruments. I found the club difficult for a few reasons.
First, the uniform necessary for the club was expensive and I didn't
have the money; the other dancers on the team (most notably the
Captain) didn't understand this and thought that my unwillingness to
buy the uniform was a personal choice rather than a choice inspired by
the reality of my situation. Next, the dancers tended to use a visual
form of communication that I was not privy to, and no one really tried
to let me in even when I asked for as much information as I could get.
To add to that, the Captain said that blindness was not an issue and
refused my talking with the team explicitly about blindness. Then, the
issue came up later on in the middle of dance practice where fellow
team members wanted to know how much I could see putting me in a very
uncomfortable position. It was also clear that as an individual person
(blindness aside), I was just not someone who fit into the general
atmosphere. to be honest, I've made occasional inquiries at other clubs
on campus such as the free thinkers society (mostly a group of atheists
who spend their time criticizing theists without understanding that
their view is no more valid) and the disability rights club (a
pan-disability movement with its own agenda that isn't in keeping with
my values as a blind person and a member of the NFB). I just figured
that campus clubs weren't the best route for me.

That doesn't mean that I stopped socializing though, and I don't think
that clubs have to be the only way to socialize for blind students just
to be normal. I joined off-campus associations such as the local
Democrats. I also started weightlifting at an all-women's gym. both of
these involvements are less formal than a campus club. The Dems are
formal, but I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. My real
avenue for socializing at school is simply to engage in interpersonal
relationships as I discover them. My blindness as an identity has
informed these relationships somewhat because I don't make it a habbit
of befriending those who spend their time with me asking question after
question about blindness. I instead choose friends who just get it or
at least get it enough to know that blindness should not be the central
focus of their interest in me. If they have questions, then they ask,
but not in that "bombs away" style that so many people favor.

Respectfully,
Jedi